Saturday, June 11, 2022

2021 Books

 2021 Books


Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty

    - classic Moriarty, a great beach book for Hawaii




That We May Be One: A Gay Mormon's Perspective on Faith and Family. Tom Christofferson.
    -very readable and relatable, good stories





The Power of Stillness: Mindful Living for Latter-Day Saints
    -not a book to read in one or two sittings. Each chapter is a gem. Am I the only one who hadn't heard of a Jefferson dinner?
    


Misreading Scripture With Western Eyes: Removing cultural blinders to better understand the Bible. Loved this book - sometimes even exhilarating. One of the examples in the Introduction put me off, but I'm so happy I kept reading. Reading with a collectivist mindset (you-plural instead of you-singular) was one interesting takeaway. 






The God Who Weeps:  How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life by Terryl and Fiona Givens. 
    -not sure a lot of this book sticks with me in a way I can articulate or paraphrase, but I found it soothing and uplifting. 




The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis
"Further up and further in." A motto for life. 
Lewis's writing always seemed timeless to me, but this time through, a few aspects seemed slightly dated. Still, one of my fave books of all time.




Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy 
by Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant




Cousins - movie. Hit hard. 


Running for My Life - Lopez Lomong. 
    -a highlight of the trip to Nelson and back with 3 runners - Mercy, Bree, and Abby. I love how this book is written to highlight all the inspiring people whose life intersected with Lomong's. There were many heroes in this book.



The Moment of Lift by Melinda Gates. 
-Readable, engaging, personal, motivating, and eye-opening to the realities around us here and abroad. I wish everyone would read this book. 




Jesus H Christ by Rob Bell, Podcast Episodes 1-11
"Efficiency may not be gods highest goal for your life. Pragmatism isn’t divine."

"Nothing gets wasted in the divine economy. All of it somehow belongs and matters. There is perfume all over the floor. And for him, it’s not waste. That’s what makes it sacred, holy, divine."
 
"It all takes place in a larger unit or landscape. Sacred is another way of saying that it doesn’t exist in isolation or detachment but we see it being sacred meaning that we see its connection to the larger whole."  Points to something beyond it 




When All is Said by Anne Griffin

-I liked it but wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Felt a little manipulated; sad but not motivaated. 



The Chosen, by Chaim Potok. 
- Danny's faith crisis. Learning that Yiddish was a German dialect, not God's language. Learning that some of the early founders of Hasidism had some dubious practices. Seeing the close-mindedness of his parents, their unwillingness to discuss. Observing his community. Is this where Danny got his name, without my being aware of it? I haven't read this since high school, and liked it even better this time around. 





Fled by Meg Keneally. 

    -Read this for book club. Could have used another editing round. It's been a while since I read a book this fast. As an American, I had heard that Australia was originally settled by convicts, and hadn't thought twice that this might matter in the present day and age. Interesting to hear from Robyn W. that family history in Australia is difficult for many because they don't want to know, and don't want to be associated with a convict past. 20% of Australians.  




Sprigs by Brannavan Gnanalingam
    -Even looking at the front cover of this book makes me feel nautious. A sad story about NZ gang rape at a school party, which didn't leave me wanting to be a better person, but feeling like I couldn't trust anyone around me.


So B. It by Sarah Weeks.
- great audiobook for road trips


All Creatures Great and Small, by James Herriot. 
-Another road trip favorite. So funny! Mercy, Oak, Joyce, Sage, and I listened to this in. the car on the way back from an adventure race in Taihape. 






The Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A Woman's Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine, by Sue Monk Kidd
- I relate with the problem, but not with her solution. Not that I have a better solution, though. Hard to 'un-hear' this book once I heard it.





The Things We Cannot Say, by Kelly Rimmer.  
-Sad, but full of love and service. A unique framing of a WWII novel. I liked it.







Shtisel Netflix series. Insightful, funny, and moving. Remember the episode when the Dad paints over a strand of his wife's hair.  




The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
I don't recommend the book, but I really love the book club where I got it. 


Transformations of Faith, online course by Joseph Wirthlin McConkie
- "If you feel anything but compassion for another human, you’re just playing with the ego."





Survivors, by Jane Harper. Another book club book.  Murder/missing person mystery. 




Sister Saints, by Colleen McDannell
Loved it. Reminded me of the feeling you get when you pass around the paper and everyone writes one or two words that describe you. You see yourself in the mirror, but summarized with broad strokes that are elusive if you already know yourself and lived the history.




The Girl With the Silver Eyes, by Willo Roberts. 
- This was one of my ABSOLUTE favorite books as a kid and a PLEASURE to share with my girls. 



The Secret Lake, by Karen Inglis
- another good audio book for the car




Where the World Ends, by Geraldine McCaughrean
-Great writing, haunting story based on a true story, told with clinical terms in history books but comes alive in this retelling.




Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro
- hard to put it down. Lots to think about. Ahhhh - the scene when Klara installs herself in the closet. 



The Stoic Challenge: A Philosopher's Guide to Becoming Tougher, Calmer, and More Resilient by William B. Irvine. 
- Recognizing the Stoic Challenge in 5 seconds - the new family challenge



The Great Divorce, by C.S. Lewis. 



2020 Books
Before 2019, I scattered a record of the books I read into my weekly blog posts

No comments:

Post a Comment