Monday, November 28, 2016

"Messiah"











Oak and I joined the local Ars Nova choir for the rehearsals and performance of Handel's "Messiah." I hope I never forget how I felt.  I loved sharing the moment with Oak.   It made it all the better that he met me at the performance venue covered in mud after just running the Pouakai Circuit.  (I wonder how long it's been since someone actually used the shower in the Green Room...?)


I thought this program was a perfect chance to highlight the English names that I have enjoyed since moving here.  Names like Bryony (soprano),  Linden (alto).  

Here are some other names that I regularly enjoy here:
Raewyn, Poppy, Robyn, Imogen, Kianh, Niamh, 
Callum, Graeme, George, Geoff, Lachlan (Lachie), Flynn, Angus, Dominic
(Mom and Dad, is it the same in England?)

Islander names are pretty cool, too:
Paora, Maihi, Kaihiki, Tofa, Nimei, Kahana, Awanui, Rani, Suni, Tubare, Wiremu, Hemi, Tui, Ariki, Sione, Silote, Tuni
(These happen to be names of people in our branch.)

I sometimes feel that our "Jones" surname receives more appreciation as a solid, interesting name here than it has in other places I've lived.  For example, Danny's basketball team played at the nationals and it was televised.  When Danny first went on, the announcer paused to speculate on Danny's Welsh name and possible heritage, like Danny's name was actually quite fascinating...






No comments:

Post a Comment