Thursday, August 27, 2015

Choose One Thing

If I had to choose one thing that summed up my day-to-day life...

In the Bronx, I would have chosen...the elevator.

We lived on the 16th floor (out of 28)

Elevator:  Usually crowded.  Groceries and laundry, fresh air - all at the end of the elevator


From our life in Germany, I would have chosen...bread.



sold by weight

Belegtes Brot, the bakery truck, rolls, knowing the baker - the whole bit.


If I had to pick one such item here in New Zealand, at least if you asked me today,  it would be ... birds.

bell bird


When I returned to New Zealand after being in the USA for 5 weeks, I had fresh eyes and ears for observing my surroundings.  One of the things that I noticed was all the birdsong - unexpected since I'd arrived back in New Zealand in the middle of winter.

wood pigeon - they look too heavy to fly


I hear bird calls almost all day, except during the wettest downpours.  I hear the birds singing in the morning during seminary and while I get the kids off to school.  At night I hear the pukeko and the morepork.



fantails- flit around the house windows


I notice birds when I walk out to the car, driving to school, errands, or to keep an appointment.  (Thankfully we don't have an attached garage.)

Tui (sometimes sounds like R2D2)
Notice the interesting white ball under the chin!


There have been times when we are Facetiming piano lessons, that I wish I could hush the background noise of the birds singing.

pukeko


There are also all the seabirds.  And our very own chooks.  And kea on the South Island.


When Captain Cook arrived in New Zealand in the 1770s he noted that the bird song was deafening.  

 I notice the birds and the bird song every day, even when I'm indoors.  It's one of the things that makes me feel that, even when I'm in my house, I'm still half out-doors.


No comments:

Post a Comment