Monday, September 22, 2014

Pray like a Rabbi

Danny on his 15th birthday



Danny, trying out his gift from Noah

The teachers, Sage and Joyce, pose with their class for a Class Photo.  Their class lesson on this day was "Imagination."   
Class Photo - 2 Teachers and 10 Pupils

Time to worry about my kids?
Noah:  "Wait...do they have 25-dollar bills in the States?"
Danny, in a draft message to the BYU admissions office:  "Because I am living internationally, the history classes at my school wouldn't apply to my studies at BYU..."  (there is a big emphasis on NZ/Maori history in the history classes at his school, but still....)
Mercy:  "You know at group class today...there was a new boy, and I felt like I was playing to try to impress him, and I don't know why I felt this way...."
Sage:  "What's a graham cracker?"

Inspiration of the week-
This week I realized that there is no good reason for me to give quick, matter-of-fact prayers when we have dinner guests.  

Since we've had a teenage party every Saturday night for the last 2 months, we've had a recurring opportunity to pray over our food with guests in the home.  

When it's time to eat, I gather everyone into our kitchen.  We go around the room and everyone tells their name and answers the question of the day.  Then I usually explain a couple of house rules and say a quick blessing on the food.  

It occurred to me this week that I should be praying for these teenagers and not just praying for the food.   And there's no need to make it so quick.

When I lived in Jerusalem with the BYU Jerusalem Study Abroad program, a couple of friends and I visited a small, historic synagogue in the Old City.  We had a conversation with the rabbi, and when we turned to go, he asked us if he could give us each a blessing.  
Jerusalem, 1993
Although not of his religion, I still remember the compassion and warmth I felt as he specifically prayed for my success and happiness.  I would love my guests to feel this way as well. 

I can pray that my teenage guests will be courageous, honest, and true to themselves.  I can pray that they will be able to make tough decisions.  I could pray that they will be kind to each other, that they will be able to work hard to accomplish their goals, and that their minds will be alert and creative. 

Fun read-aloud for the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment