Tuesday, February 28, 2017

2017 Quotes

Joyce (5)



"Did you KNOW...that Uncle Dan...can make a SQUEAKING SOUND.... with GRASS???!"
-Joy is amazed at her talented Uncle Dan.

"This is a good kind of store.  I don't like stores that are too big because then I have to make hard choices."
-We live in a good place for shoppers like her and like me.

"One thing I don't like about holidays is that you forget all about school and WHERE STUFF IS."
-I followed Joyce for most of this sentence, but then the last three words took an unexpected twist.

"Can you show me some of the exercise cars?"
-Joy is curious after overhearing a conversation about sports cars.

"If Danny was here, he'd sit on the counter when he was done eating."
-Joy makes a random observation while eating dinner, obviously thinking about Danny's empty place.

"Mom, you should change your job to be a hair-doer.  You're really fast."
-Joy gives career advice one morning on the way to school.

Sage (8)



"Thank you for...."
-the way Sage ends every day.

"One of my talents is that all my teachers just LOVE me."

Joyce to Sage:  "Don't say anything like that, because then I might BELIEVE you."
-Sage's powers of reason and persuasion can be overwhelming to a younger sister.

"Mom, you're the BEST/ Mom, you're AWESOME/ Mom, you're the BEST/ Mom, you're AWESOME"  (repeated many times)
-Sage and Joyce made up a song for me that they sing almost every day on the way to school.  What it lacks in nuance is made up in feeling.



Mercy (12)


"I reckon getting 'told off' sounds more practical than 'chewed-whatever-it-was.'"
-Mercy, after she asked me what they call getting "told off" in the USA, and I answered, "getting chewed out."

Me:  "How is it going to school without the boys?"
Mercy:  "I quite like it for classes.  I miss them at handball though."
-Mercy just started at New Plymouth Girls' High School.

"How many x's are on the end of skuxx depends on how skuxx it is."

"Oosh!"

"It's like trying to be Kiwi, but failing."
-Mercy's reaction to my suggestion that she eat canned spaghetti on toast for dinner.  (Canned spaghetti on toast is a breakfast dish.)

Mercy about Oak:  "He's advanced to Roaster-in-Chief since Danny's left."
Oak:  "You just notice me more."

"You have to calm down with your clicking - I'm pretty sure it's bad for the computer."
-Oak to Mercy.  In the last couple of months, Mercy has changed from the girl who came home from school and sat down on the floor with Sage and Joyce, to the girl who comes home and checks (and clicks) the computer.

Oak (15)




"Blackberries are great.  You don't even feel them as you run through, then you come out, and your legs are bleeding, and it looks really cool."
-Oak after a rogaine.  Blackberries are much preferred to gorse.



"I went through the Farm.  It was quite a cool run.... There was cow poo, though."
-Sept 19, Oak shows up after another run with even more mud than usual splattered over his legs.

"That's funny.  I'll just leave it on for now."  
-Oak is bemused when his toenail comes off with his sock after a 2-day Hillary training

Four Peaks - Oak, Jason, Gavin

"That John and Tubare came."
-Oak's response when I asked about his favourite thing about church.  When John and Tubare don't come, he's the only YM.

"In keeping with tradition, I am going to start by telling a story about adventure racing."
-Since there aren't very many youth in our branch, Oak gets to give a lot of talks in sacrament meeting, and this has become his standard opening, good for an appreciative laugh from the congregation.

Danny (17)



Danny:  "What's my ACT score again?"
-Smart enough to score well, but not smart enough to remember that he'd done it.  He had it wrong for months before figuring it out.  (I had forgotten, too...)

"Mom picks a song and she begins the intro, 'Have I told you lately that I love you...'.  The 80's music seems foreign but strangely catchy as we all sing along."
-a couple of sentences in a first draft essay for a college application.  Mike and I must seem older to Danny than I even realised!  The song, "Have I Told You Lately," Grandma Miller's favourite song, was written in the 40's.

Me:  "What does your gut tell you?"  (about staying in UT to finish his senior year or not)
Danny:  "My gut doesn't tell me stuff."
-It was worth a try.


Noah 


Noah in Bulgaria

To receive Noah's updates by email, if you aren't already, send me a personal message.

Links to previous years:
2013 Quotes - Look for Trends - interesting to see Noah at Danny's age, Danny at Oak's age, Oak at Mercy's age, Sage at Joyce's age (approximately)


Book of the Week:



Hope and Bill are intriguing characters, but my favourite part of this book was learning about geobiology and a bit about how geobiological research is actually done.







No comments:

Post a Comment